View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
busterbrown

Your vehicle is spec'd close to what I had original stated. My Yukon XL Denali had rear air suspension, two aux trans oil coolers, 20" rims, "xl" rated passenger tires, and performance brakes/rotors. I was below all the manufacturer specs in terms of GAWR, GVWR, Tire loads, payload, and GCWR when I first bought my 7,600 lb GVWR trailer. Unfortunately, I had a harrowing experience on a trip home across Michigan on July morning. Crosswinds at 30mph did me in, even with a Midgrade Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH. A trip that normally took 3 hours took 5 as I couldn't drive faster than 45 mph. White knuckle all the way as the wife screamed at me. No hills on this trip, BTW. So, I found a compromise. An expensive Hensley Arrow premium sway elimination hitch. It worked 100% but I was now over my payload capacity of the Yukon. The hitch is double the weight of a traditional WDH.

My point is this. My kids were 1, 2 and 5 respectively. That kept my payload down. I couldn't imagine having 2-4 teenagers in the 2nd and 3rd rows and not exceeding payload. And as our children get older, we tend to bring more "things". This includes bikes, kayaks, electronics, more clothes, more food, more towels, more chairs, etc, and everything else that is "required" for a camping vacation. It all adds up quickly.

So, after that summer of upgrading to a Hensley, I came across my current RAM 2500. It solved my payload issues and now we can bring anything we want without question or reservation. Our long trips are more enjoyable and even spacious for the growing kids as I have the Megacab.

If it was just you, your SO, and a small child, it could be doable with the proper hitch. But realistically, you'd want a larger TV with your current family size. Another option would be to take along a second passenger vehicle, especially if most of your trips are local. And, if any of your teens are drivers, that helps tremendously with the longer commutes.

Another option would be to find a smaller trailer, maybe a hybrid variety that can sleep 6 comfortably with all the benefits of a hard sided camper.

Good luck.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote