View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza Powell View Post
My husband is recovering from a compression fracture in his lumbar spine and is not entirely comfortable driving or riding in our truck yet. So I asked this question recently on my favorite Facebook group. I was bombarded by similar responses to those that I see here. I did a little research online about 5th wheel crash/fatality statistics and found nothing to warrant such hysteria. Yes, different states have different laws about it. But no, I’m not convinced that riding in the 5th wheel is any more dangerous than riding in a truck hauling a 5th wheel.

1) It appears that there are significantly less fatalities in RV accidents than in ordinary vehicle accidents.
2) Most of the 5th wheel accidents I read about and viewed online involved trucks tipping over or being crushed beneath tractor trailers, and it appears to be quite uncommon for 5th wheel hitches to fail.
3) Most trailer accidents appear to be extremely preventable. (Incorrect weight/towing capacity ratios).
4) Consider the fact that Class A motorhomes are not crash rated, have no protection in front end collisions and a multitude of potential projectiles present in the event of a crash. And yet nobody questions the wisdom of riding in them.

I decided to try it out today. My husband drove while I rode, laying down on the bed in the nose of the trailer. Having read so many posts by people who claimed to have done it and would “never do it again” I was absolutely amazed at how comfortable I was. We traveled about 10 miles on a very familiar route which includes many hills, curves and rough road. Absolutely delightful! I could have easily fallen asleep.

Am I going to do this routinely? No. Am I going to try it out on an interstate? Maybe. Am I annoyed by all the folks who are so adamant about the dangers and discomfort of doing this? Hell yes!

You've not traveled in an RV nor had an accident riding in one but are annoyed by those that are adamant about the dangers and discomforts of doing it based on their experiences?? Hmmm

There is very little data on the kinds of things that would be important to nail down if it was good for you....common sense says it is not even if you don't like all the reasons (good ones) that have been provided.

Here's what I do know; I have seen 4 RV accidents real time in my lifetime of driving the highways and byways. 4. One was on a little 2 lane in the middle of nowhere in the foothills on our route to our mountain home. In front of me was a pickup and the remains of a TT on the side of a rock embankment as it rose along the side of the highway. How it came unhooked I do not know. I do know the truck was sitting there as the stunned owners looked thru the trailer. The trailer was literally collapsed and almost flat. Their "stuff" was all over the side of that rock embankment and strewn about. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in the RV they would have been sifting the rocks to put them back together. Another was on I20 somewhere outside Weatherford TX. This one had apparently lost control and went off the side of the highway, went down the side and ended up in a grove of trees. The truck hit some of the trees and was on its side, the folks out and moving around. The trailer however didn't fare so well, not nearly. It had plowed into the trees and was unrecognizable. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in the trailer they would have been trying to pull his speared body out of the trees. Another was on a rural TX highway and again it appeared they had lost control, went through a barbed wire fence and rolled the truck/trailer. In this case, there were 2 folks laid out on the ground and the ambulance was there but they looked alive. The trailer was virtually disintegrated. I suppose if one had been peacefully sleeping in that trailer they would still be....sleeping. The last one was again on I20 I believe somewhere outside Clyde, TX. It was in the median. The pickup was upright and the folks OK. The trailer was again not OK. On this one it was on its side but the roll over, or impact from careening down the median on its side, had caused it to turn into what looked like an upside down L with the top collapsed or gone and what would have been the top side angling down to meet the other side. I guess if one was peacefully sleeping in that RV they would have disappeared with the roof??

I hope you see the recurring theme; folks in truck equipped for "people" = OK. RVs pulled behind truck not equipped for people = not OK. These things stuck in my mind because I had an RV. To me it says....hmmm, these RVs don't fare well in the event of an accident. That tells me don't travel in one. On the other hand, if one sleeps peacefully in the RV and feels they are immune to disaster or fate...hey, do what floats your boat as they say.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote