View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
01soundman

Just how many times will I have to replace my (30 amp) plug....?

At the chance of waxing philosophical here, I'll ask: Why does it seem that so many people complain (myself included) about burned/melting 30 amp plugs?

I understand "Those pedestals get abused" and "If it weren't for the Class A folks with 50 amp rigs sucking the last volt out of the pedestal ..." and "Well, you just have to buy a Hughes Autoformer" (which I have just done).

Still, something seems very much awry here... Seems like the answer would be something other than cutting the bad/melted plug off and putting another one on. Eventually, that cable is going to be too short to do that....

After this past week where we experienced VERY poor voltage levels at the end of a 100 amp service for waaay too many sites, I got very tired having to play "manual power manager" to keep my Progressive Industries PT30X from dropping out while trying to run the A/C (alone!).

We bailed out of the site a day earlier than planned when the PT30X dropped power with only a floor FAN running... (Even the State Owned campground maintenance electrician, after replacing the circuit breaker in their attempts to do everything they could, said there wasn't anything left that could be done to improve the voltage.)

After the gear I've ordered arrives tomorrow, my power will be pedestal -> "sacrificial shortie" extension -> Hughes Autoformer -> PI PT30X -> camper.

My background in electronics makes me a bit concerned over the number of connections but I'm NOT eager to burn up the plug on either of the high-dollar pieces of gear by having them plugged directly into the pedestal.

I understand "volts down / amps up" and all that jazz.

And, yes, wherever I can I'll use the 50 amp side.

But, gee whiz, this seems like something I shouldn't have to deal with.

Just one more thing that makes camping "not fun".

Looking forward to our next trip because I'm prepared now,
Ray
01soundman is offline   Reply With Quote