View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
the onans love the gas mine will last 2 days on 30 gallons and my 3912 only has 1 tank. im guessing that's why the fuel gage appears to be pinned to e that or the sender is malfunctioning. when I generator it at bike rallys I carry 2-3 gas jugs with me. as for using the fuel station I primarily use it for cycling fuel additive in the system.
abneynormal; if I recall you had supplied a simplified diagram of a fuel gauge. Basically a power source (12VDC), Float driven variable resistance, and a current meter (gauge) all connected in series. Polarity is such that as current is applied pointer moves to the right (F) lower current moves to left (E). Float level changes varying total resistance thereby varying current through the meter (deflection) Normal operation.

The lack of current or low current (LESS) will cause the point to return to its normal non energized position (E). Pinned to me means pointer is driven in the opposite direction against the stop versus returning to its normal position. With our simplified circuit example polarity would have to be reversed, similar to someone connecting say a DC meter in reverse pinning meter to the left at Zero. Cannot imagine that happening intermittently (polarity changes), ie meter reading normal then pointer pinned on Empty stop and then back to normal.

Does anyone know if there may be some form of electronic device driving the meter rather that the simple circuit identified?? which if faulty or say improper ground would "DRIVE" to meter in opposite direction. Key word here is PINNED to empty versus returning normally to the empty position.

Has anyone looked at the back or near the meter to see if there were any electronics there.? I know Blah Blah ...........
For you members nearing retirement here is an example of what to expect

Really bugging me !! Searched internet and found on some think Buick cars gas gauge pointers were driven past the Empty stop and had to be taken apart to reposition the pointer to the other side, others used a magnet to move pointer to other side of stop. Not much detail given as to, the cause other than it was noted after low battery or neg terminal removed from battery. Must be some electronic burping up??

Anyone want to practice retirement

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote