View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 07:42 PM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
It may be a stupid question but since I'm not an electrician, my question is:
I always thought the outlets from the house could handle anything in the trailer, so how do I find out exactly what my garage indoor panel or trailer can handle? I've ran things like power saws etc from that outlet.

We keep our trailer outside next to the garage, as you can see in my signature below, about 10-12' from where the electric service panel is inside the garage where I will plug it in from time to time, mostly for lights etc. Haven't tried the microwave, fridge or AC yet.
Hey Jack,

Unless specially modified for higher amperage, the outlets from your home cannot handle "anything" in your trailer. At minimum your trailer will be rated at 30A. Your regular home circuits will be rated at 15A or 20A max. With that you can't run at full capacity in the trailer.

I run my trailer on a 20A dedicated circuit when it is here at the house while it is being prepared for travel. It cannot be used like you are "living in it". It is a "make do" to give you necessary power to run essential stuff: I power up the fridge and get it ready to go; I depend on the AC to run the converter to keep the batteries topped off, my lights then work perfectly.

I guess my thoughts would be that you need to assess electrical loads and what you are using. Many ways to do that and many folks on this forum that can help.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote