View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

I disagree. It is NEVER "overthinking" to know what your rig weighs......

That said, if you reweigh your truck with the hitch in the bed, you should be able to get "pretty close" to the axle weights and using math, get close to the pin weight. Keep in mind that without your DW in the truck, you're going to be "off a bit" based on her weight and anything else that might have been unloaded or used (fuel, etc).

Ideally, weighing at the beginning of a trip will give you an "exact weight", but that will only be valid for that "moment in time" as holding tank contents, propane, food, cargo in the bed of the truck, fuel in the truck will all change with every mile you travel down the road.... Nobody tries to get an "exact weight" every trip, and most "survive" with weighing once and never weighing again. Heck, there are some who have no idea what their rig weighs, but "it doesn't sag or lean" so it must be good.

I'd say that using your known weights from the "strangely conducted weigh" and reweighing your truck so you know what's on each axle, you'll be able to deduce close approximations. That'll give you a good idea of where you stand.

My suggestion would be to draw two outlines of your rig. On the top one, write the weights under each axle as it was done on the first weigh, then, on the bottom one, write the weights on the truck axles from the reweigh. Then use "algebra to solve for X and Y" (trailer pin weight and truck rear axle weight)....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote