View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
asing

First timer 2006 VR1 297FLS

Hi all, we are new to the RV lifestyle, long time tent campers. Son is an eagle scout, in college now though. So lots and lots of outdoors self sufficient type lifestyle experience.

I picked this thing up fairly inexpensively, I think anyway, outside of Oklahoma City. Involved in tweaking it out and will be looking for guidance on where to start into this thing.

I am pulling with my 2010 Ford F250 /w spartan chip, S&B cold air intake and 5" exhaust...tweaking just the basics . This is the one with the 6.4 International engine and 4 speed trans. I would love to put an allison trans on it...ah another time I suppose. I just hate that I get to about 70MPH and RPM hits ~2000 and MPG hits the floor. You just cannot go beyond that 2k RPM mark with this truck. I love everything else about this truck..except for the aforementioned transmission challenge Ford seems to be in denial about.

I did rent a wildwood, cheapy little thing, back in 2011. I pulled this from DFW to the Grand Canyon where we hiked into Phantom Ranch and out(2 day trip). This was prior to my F250 mod's and I got 6MPG .

Anyway, newbie looking forward to discussions here.

Andy & Lisa
North DFW metro area
asing is offline   Reply With Quote