View Single Post
Old 04-19-2018, 06:35 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWishome View Post
Is the issue the length? My truck says not to use WDH for TT under 4000 lbs. The tow capacity is 6300 lbs. We usually have a Thule bike rack with 2 bikes on the back which offsets the tongue weight quite a bit on our previous trailers.
It specifies to not use a wdh for trailers under 4k?? On a Frontier? Max tow is 6300 lbs.? Seems to me something is wrong. Can you post where that comes from? If from Nissan, they are derelict IMO. I don't think the issue is the trailer length; it's the small truck - or both. Here's the link from Keystone for specs;

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...0rd-crossfire/

It's a 4700 lb. trailer. The tongue, loaded, could be in the 600 lb. range. Loading bicycles and "stuff" just elevates the "towed" weight. It's a Frontier; what is the payload/gvw etc.? Look at the sticker on the door frame. How many folks, dogs, cargo etc. are you going to put in the truck? What is the weight of all that....+ the tongue weight? A Frontier is not an RV towing pickup in the general sense.

Heck, I live in W TX and get to watch all sorts of folks trying to tow with all sorts of stuff in all kinds of W TX "stuff". Ran to Lubbock today and passed a Tundra (speed limit 75) "trying" to pull about a 25' trailer. W TX wind, maybe 25 (slight breeze here but had gusts) from the E (cross ways to the highway). He was going about 45 (in a 75), wiggling and waggling, and when I passed he was STONE COLD fused to the steering wheel; both hands gripped so tight I could see the blood veins; straight up, MAX attention straight ahead. He looked about my age; 68-70ish. Not ideal. I had just pulled my trailer back home yesterday; in winds much stronger with no problem at 65 mph. I felt sorry for him.

All that to point out I worry about you taking that truck and trying to pull the trailer you hope to get without a wdh. A Tundra is WAY more a tow truck than a Frontier so just keep that in mind. Get the wdh and I'm sure someone here can help you with it. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote