View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't have your trailer or your TV. I just want to make sure that you have validated your TVs ability vs the trailer which it seems you have.

Your vehicle has a tow rating, meaning the most optimistic possible number in the world, of 3500 lbs., 5000 lbs. with AWD. Your trailer has a gvw of 4500 lbs. With the family you have, you will be at GVW or above if you plan on any activities. Your vehicle, with all the family, will be close to max load capacity before you add hitch, tongue weight, propane and all the family "stuff" in the back of the suv. Remember that there are lots of "load capacity" numbers other than tow capacity.

I used to drive full size SUVs. I don't any longer. I drive "mid size" SUVs; Ford Explorer, Toyota 4runners, Hummer H3 etc. Personally, I wouldn't pull ANY travel trailer with any of them. Those that I mentioned will have towing abilities that equal or exceed the Pilot. I understand "run what you brung"; did that a lot back when, but IMO, they are ill suited to pulling anything larger than a small utility trailer.

On the other hand, I saw a Pilot 2 days ago on hwy. 98 out here pulling a trailer about that size; running 45 on a 55 mph highway; both hands on the wheel - looked intense; SUV tail down along with the trailer nose.....and the highway, posted at 55, is rated at 75 in TX due to its super construction......just to say they were "in the way" to me (I was not towing).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote