View Single Post
Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

"On first trip out the spare tire almost came off. Not sure I didn't drag it on something. The rack was bent in two places. The center support was bent into a V shape. The spare was riding with the bottom trailing. Big hammer and a four-way fixed it at the campsite. Dealer logo spare tire cover is probably on I-59 somewhere. Didn't want that cover anyhow."

I would bet you drug the spare. You have to watch VERY carefully for driveways/entries etc. that have much of an incline 1n/out or you can catch the spare.

I've hung mine twice and had to do exactly what you describe. After the 1st incident I knew to watch my entrance/exits much more closely, but, on my way back from FL last year I pulled into a station "thinking" the exit looked OK going back onto the street.....but, I could not see beyond the curb. Behind it the drive had a very big drop to the street and an instant rise. There was no way to back out of it or get crossways enough to minimize the dip so I had to bite the bullet. Drove the rest of the way to the next campsite with the spare sticking out backwards. I carry a small sledge with me all the time now for that particular repair.....if it ever happens again, which I hope it doesn't.

I replaced my cover with one from BestTop. Much higher quality than the OEM. It's just black and there are other fancier ones out there you might prefer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote