View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 PM   #49
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As I said previously, if you're interested, give Champion Power Equipment a call and ask them. OSHA is not a manufacturer of anything except paper requirements, many that don't apply to anything except a specific situation. Many people "read into that specific situation" more than is intended by OSHA. When people do that, they often associate the specifics with generalities and the water becomes very muddy.

I'm OK pulling the rope on my generator until it starts, connecting my RV and turning on the microwave. I don't carry an 8" copper rod and honestly don't know of anyone who does.
Nothing specific to Champion or any manufacturer. In almost any case, a manufacturer will simply say, see an electrician. They don't want to be lawsuit fodder. At least, OSHA makes recommendations.

There is a specific reason I care, though. Failure to ground equipment properly can burn or kill people and does causes structure fires. KBR and other contract electricians did a number on many trailers and soldiers in Iraq. Most all of those sites were generator powered. I would like to know that an RV attached to any standalone generator does not pose the same risk.

And as I said many posts ago, there are lots of other grounding means besides an 8 foot rod. No normal campers are going to do them.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote