View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Gearhead,

I've got a GWP that points woodcock but refuses to retrieve them. Several of us hunt them around the marshes in this area. Of the 10+ of us, nobody has a dog that will retrieve them. Some say it's the odor, but my dog will retrieve anything except for "doodles". Woodcock are pretty much a "worm eater" and the dogs won't mouth them, at least that's what we think. As for hunting around that area, Castor Plunge Road, just off Twin Bridges Road (watch for the Claiborne Bombing Range signs) had some good "doodle hunting", but it's tough walking through the bogs and without a dog, it's very much a "hit and miss" kind of event. Some days you may walk up on 6 or 8 and other weeks you may hunt every day and never see a single bird. If you do stay at Kincaid Recreation Area campground, you might find some birds around the Wild Azalea Trail. That's about 2 miles southeast of the campground, but it's been at least 5 years since I've been back there, so it might be a shopping center now

Most of the "old guys" that I hunted with are no longer above ground. Two are in a nursing home and last time we were there, neither remembered who I was, so they wouldn't be able to give you any advice.

Grits Gresham built a sporting clays/skeet range in Natchitoches. Some of the old guys that walk that range hunted "doodles" around the Cane River area. You might start there. It's a public facility, open to anybody who doesn't "flinch at gunfire"..... Grits is long gone, but his range is still going strong. http://www.natchitochesshooting.com/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote