View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What about the size of family? Ages? Things you want to take with you on a trip?

The older Tundras weren't really a "towing" truck. You're not looking at a real large trailer but a large trailer for your particular truck; gvw 6800, figure tongue 816 (12% - and it also exceeds the max tongue weight of your truck). With that tongue weight it leaves you 484 lbs. left on your payload along with your rear gawr. Subract at least 100 lbs. from that for a WDH.

Those numbers tell me without further research that you will be overloading that truck. The trailer is 26' long. The 06 Tundra is about a 3/4 size truck if I recall (not as big as a full size 1/2 ton). Factor in that in 06 Toyota built trucks that had towing specs that barely exceeded a passenger car simply because they weren't built to throw a big load on; much less control it. The truck is 12-13 years old. It only has 60k miles on it but it has lots of years sitting and aging. That can play real havok when you drop a big weight on the back of a lightly sprung truck.

If it were me, and I was intent on using that truck for a travel trailer, I would replace the shocks, check the springs for any fatigue/sagging and replace as required, check all the running gear for rust, fatigue, sag, bending etc. Replace all tires with LT tires and possibly new wheels to support the weight. What class of receiver does it have? It needs to be AT LEAST a Class III and preferably IV. Then, I would look at a trailer with a gvw of NO MORE than about 4800 lbs. Even then, I would be worrying constantly...but that's just me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote