View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #18
Roy Finchville

1) check warranty/guaranty first. RV’s were not designed to live in for extended time period. DO NOT RELIE on Sales Rep.
2) Travel Trailers generally lighter and less expensive but smaller and more prone to side sway from wind,etc.
3) Public Campgrounds usually limit to 30 amp(1 air conditioner), not longer than 30 feet long. Not more than a 2 week stay.
4) suggest become a member of Good Sam’s or other organization which addresses ability to forward mail from one Good Sams park to another. Also has many other perks.
5) may want to look at long term service agreement with National Company that services at campgrounds. Of the last 9 months my camper has sat on lot 5 months. While more models and layouts are available the repair side of the industry leaves much to be desired. The quick money is in the initial sale . Having to stay in a hotel while also travel trailer payments gets old very fast.
6) Find the units you like and then query them on line before buying. I found out the hard way. Seems like the Company and unit I purchased has a ling history if problems which they are not willing to address as ling as they can make sales.
7) Be aware that R V industry is self regulating. Outside of axles and traffic lighting they can pretty much do what ever they want. I have not found an RV company that requires a Licensed Architect or Licensed Engineer to stamp and approve an RV. The industry succeeds because the number of new people buying new trailers that use them for a short period and then sit.
8) The bigger the trailer the bigger the vehicle to pull it. Always use the projected total loaded vehicle weight NOT dry weight when sizing a vehicle to tow a trailer. Trailer Brakes are important. An undersized vehicle may for a short time pull the load but it has to stop it. Turbochargers and other after market equipment may help for short time until engine/transmission/rear differential etc. repeatedly fail.

All that being said my family has camped for 42 years and it helped us grow closer and see America . Being in campgrounds we have met people from all over the world.
I would rather be in a parking lot campground than a 4 star hotel.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote