Thread: The KOA Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #77
FlyingBelle

South Bend/Elkart KOA in Granger, IN - 2

I would have rated it a 3, until I read the rest of the posts and saw how nice some of the other KOAs are!

This was our first KOA stay. We had a pull-through full hookup with Cable. The owner was great about leading us to the site and helping hubby align for our slideouts. Couldn't get the cable to work at all (during the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup Finals!!), but could get a good number of over-the-air stations.

The site was small, compared to what I'm used to. The firepit was located directly under our awning, so we couldn't have a campfire unless we retracted the awning, and the site on the other side of us had their firepit right up against our camper! (They didn't have a fire either)

The full hookups for the site on the other side of us were so close to us I had to watch my kids like a hawk - they were very interested in the hoses and stuff (ew!)

We were told by the owner if we had booked earlier we could have gotten one of the "nicer" sites. He pointed to the ones across the road, which looked identical to ours.

The "heated" pool was cold, and the sidewalk leading to it was all busted up. They showed movies, but they were odd, obscure films from the 70's (and not kid-friendly). there was a "petting zoo" which consisted of a donkey and 2 goats - one of which was missing a leg because a dog had gotten in several years ago (freaked my daughter out). We found the mini-golf on the 3rd day, you had to walk through a field of weeks, and on to a cement patio - which had markings of "no diving".

It's located in a suburban neighborhood, so you can walk to an Italian place and Dairy Queen and other typical places. It was about a 40 minute drive to Amish Acres.

Overall the owners were nice, although a little hostile when I gave them an average rating on the KOA website. The sites were clean, though small. And there is a train nearby that you can clearly hear throughout the night.

I wouldn't stay here again to vacation. But it seemed most folks were just passing-through to their next location and only stayed one night.
2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Disney Obsessed!