View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #29
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
[/COLOR]

The highlighted part is something everyone needs to think about SRW or DRW because it is a fact.

An overinflated tire just does not have the grip of a properly inflated tire in full, grabby contact with the pavement. It DOES increase the possibility of tire damage. When I first bought my last 3/4 ton the sticker said 65 front, 80 rear and it was aired to that. Initially I dropped the rear to 65 like the front and all was well. Took the trailer up to the mountains, set up and took off looking at "stuff". There was a road leading to a lake that had been paved at one time but was deteriorated to the point it was almost gravel. But, there, up ahead, with no time to change course was a huge pothole in some remnant of the pavement. Hit it and kept right on going. Loaded up and went home. A couple months later I was getting ready to head to FL. Took the truck in for rotate/balance and just general check it over. On a Saturday, leave Monday. I find a big gash in the sidewall where I hit the pothole. Never lost air but it was deep. The owner of the store said it would probably be OK to use if I had a spare. I just told him "not happenin". No tire that size there so.....next day, Sunday, I found a tire store open in "the city" with that size and brand of tire and it was replaced.

Long story to just say 2 things; inflated to max pressure had everything to do with the damage that tire incurred I am sure and 2) don't wait until the last workday before you leave on a big trip to check your tires.....
In response; so if you inflate your truck tires to the load. How do you know the load? There is no way you know how much unless you weigh every time you go out. Then another thing, you always inflate the trailer tires to max pressure correct yet you have absolutely how much it weighs on any given trip.
Another thing I noticed is some trailers have 7,000 pound axles yet the max load is 16,000 pounds, Now I know 7+7=14,000 so Why do manufactures do this?
As for the pot hole a under inflated tire may sustain the same damage. There is no way of knowing that a fully pressurized tire will blow out hitting a pot hole.
More on air pressure. In your car do you add or remove air because you have fewer people in your car? You do know that cars have a max load also. I bet that you go by the yellow sticker in the door for tire inflation and not some stupid chart. Other wise you would need to weigh everyone and inflate according to load. I bet you didn't know that there is a max load for cars also.
So if the yellow sticker is the towing bible than the tire pressure on that same sticker should be gospel don't you think? Or do we chose that the yellow sticker is just a suggestion and only follow some of it?
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote