View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #27
battlebeetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowlesj View Post
I've now lost track of how many of these I've done. If you follow my instructions EXACTLY, there is no more water intrusion. This is even before adding tape to block rain water entrance. The tape was added as an extra precaution. The only area I have seen wet is the interior of the duct and the duct has always been sealed good enough to contain the water. Have seen no wet ceilings or insulation.

Drilling any extra drain holes is unecessary and Heartland has had some dealers go back and reseal the drilled drain holes. The 2 big issues is the scoop effect the 2 A/C halves have to channel the water in and then the extra mounting rivnut leaking into the coach interior.

Any tech that reads this thread and then cannot properly fix the problem is incompetent. Total time to complete if willing to remove the A/C styrofoam evaporator cover is 1 hour to repair, 2 hour cure, 30 minute leak check.

Dometic has sent me a new top cover and it fits no better than the originals.

If anyone has any improvements to this method, please advise.

John - 3820FK
Just following up on this thread and my experience.

After having the dealership complete the "fix" of drilling extra drain holes and plugging the holes where water leaks through the into the interior, the leaking through the intake vents (only when AC running while raining, no leaking while raining with AC off) was improved but still significant. After applying tape around the connection to the pan and lid, like in the pictures, the problem has gone away and I have had not more leakage through many storms over the past months with the AC running.

So, my logic leaves me to believe that there are 2 problems present: First, the bolt holes let water that has entered the pan front compartment run into the intake vents and enter the interior of the camper. Second, the suction created by the AC pulls standing water in the compartment up into the intake vents which then enters the camper. Plugging the holes takes are of problem one but not problem 2. Taping the lid/pan area takes care of problem 2. Both seems necessary for a complete fix. Just plugging the bolt holes did not solve the problem for me. Maybe it would solve the problem for new campers with lids that fit well, but once they get a little older and the lids become ill-fitting they may develop leaking problems again without the taping solution.

Thanks BowlesJ!
battlebeetle is offline   Reply With Quote