View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #54
sourdough
Site Team

This thread has been going a while and understandably so talking about some of the most beautiful places in our country. I've followed this thread from the beginning but haven't re-read all of it this evening but I thought I would throw this out for the OP;

You will be going into some of the most beautiful places in this country. I think the Grand Tetons are somewhat "forgotten" when discussed with Yellowstone but they are a marvel just by themselves to me. Yellowstone is unmatched and really requires a LOT of time to get a good feel for it. The bad thing are the hordes of people there which, to me, detracts a bit, but then again, there isn't another Yellowstone.

One caution I would mention; prior to our first trip to Yellowstone a friend who went every year stressed the importance of securing your food, and yourselves, from the wildlife - it IS their home. He told stories of the bears turning over dumpsters, taking things etc. We logged it and went to Yellowstone via Grand Tetons and Jenny Lake. Camped at Jenny Lake (breathtakingly beautiful). In the middle of the night all heck broke loose from a campsite up the way and after all kind of noise and yelling the blasted off. In the AM we went down and talked with other neighbors; a grizzly had come into their camp because they failed to take the proper precautions with the food stuffs and literally ripped (shredded) a metal cooler (pieces all over) to pieces and tore up their other stuff.

If you're not familiar with the big animals and the things you need to do to be safe, study up. They can, and will, visit you close up.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote