View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #73
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
What you say about your truck is true, but it's disingenuous to make a blanket statement such as, "Shhhhhh then don't tell my little 150 boost that it's only a 1/2 ton cuz it sure thinks it's a big truck.", without qualifying that "your" F150 isn't the typical model but is the HD model. Most novice RV'ers have no idea that Ford even makes a HD model and most would (do) interpret such statements as meaning that "you do it with your truck, I can do it with mine too." That's where the novice gets "hoodwinked" by forum members who "brag about their rig without giving all the facts."

I'd urge you, if you're going to give advice to a novice about towing a fifth wheel with an F150, that you give them ALL the facts, not just the "headlines". Your F150 is not typical. When that concept first came out in around 1999-2001, it was called a "light duty F250," was "badged as an F250 but had the body/chassis of an F150. It was NOT a "SuperDuty." It looked like a F150 and was marketed as such. It was "classed between the F150 and the HD F250". The reason Ford stopped doing that was because of the confusion it caused with people buying the "cheaper F250" thinking it was a "true F250". Once Ford made the heavy duty package an option on the F150 model and discontinued the "light duty F250" the difference between the two suspension options was "lost in the shadows".

Your truck is, by the specifications, not an F150 nor is it an F250. While "badged as an F150" it's really more a "F200" than it is either a LD or a HD truck. Ford doesn't sell enough of them annually to pay for the chrome badges to rename it an F200, so it remains optional equipment for the LD truck line. Sort of like the Raptor, it's a "model all its own" not to be confused with what we all consider an F150.
At one time they were called 5/8 ton... sort of a tweener [emoji857]