View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
rrjernigan

Popping (from Lippert jacks)

I know this issue has been discussed, I was in on the discussion. We are still working with the issue however and I have additional information. Background: We have a 2017 Montana 3811MS. Whenever we setup, about a week later, any movement inside the camper (walking around, sitting, changing position etc) causes a popping sound from under the camper. Our research indicated this was the Lippert levelling system. We contacted Lippert and they said to replace a quart of hydraulic fluid with fork oil. We did that, didn't help. They said to do it again, we did, did not help. They said to do it once more, we did, did not help. They then told us to take it back to the dealer and have them do a pressure test on the system. We did, they didn't do the pressure test, said they do not have the equipment and besides it didn't make sense to them since the camper is not losing level. They (Holiday World Alvarado, whom we do like; at least we think we do) told us to take it to Lippert (which might be several hundred miles away and I am still working and living in the Montana). They did offer to call and speak with Lippert while I was there. We did, on hold with Lippert about twenty minutes. We had been in email contact with Lippert for about a month but of course they didn't access those notes so we started over with them. The Lippert guy told us, the popping sound was simply a part of life with any hydraulic system and we would have to live with it since Lippert does not warranty against noise. Wow, nice way to talk to your customer. Basically, we built a faulty product but too bad for you.

At the end of the conversation they said, we didn't realize this was a Montana, you have to go through Keystone for all warranty work on that unit. No one at Holiday World was aware of this. So were are we? Holiday World is saying we can't reproduce the issue (because as I told them, if you raise and lower the jacks a few times, all is well for about a week) because they only at the end understood you have to move around inside the camper to make the noise, it doesn't just make it when raising and lowering the jacks (in fact it does that in silence). Holiday World wants me to leave it with them. Which, of course since I live in it, I cannot do. I only live 10 minutes from Holiday World and asked if I could take it home and when the sound comes back call them and have a tech come see what he/she thinks is the problem. Oh, they don't do that. Now what are my options? The sound is so annoying it is unlivable. We will trade the unit in on something without the Lippert system (perhaps go back to DRV or maybe an Augusta or New Horizons) except I think Lippert might be on two of those. I guess my next course of action is to contact Keystone direct and see if they will authorize a mobile service company to perform their warranty work on the Lippert system. What fun. We really like our Montana but cannot keep it if this is not resolved before the end of the year when I retire and we start travelling. I will let you know if Keystone steps up to do something.

Thanks for letting me vent.
rrjernigan is offline   Reply With Quote