View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 05:19 AM   #12
Foust

I have a 3 car garage with a 2 car space about this size. Unless you drive a midget car or park outside it's just NOT enough room for 2 cars to comfortably park inside and have any sort of real work bench or storage space. If you have, or get, a truck -- fahgetta about it!

My previous house was a custom build with a 25' x 25' two car garage. I would have liked more but that was a compromise I made with budget. And for two cars, it was a pretty good choice. It offered a comfortable space to park 2 daily drivers and have ample storage and work space. At the time I even had a zero turn mower stuff in there.

It wouldn't cost you much more to expand your 2 car to these dimensions and you would be much, much happier. Still do the other things mentioned, but when building -- make sure you get good "bones" to start off.

One last thought -- if possible, leave yourself a good sized attic above that you can floor and use as storage. I have one above mine and it has been a life saver!

The most valuable real estate in your garage is the floor space, so you need to think up. Search here for soffit cabinets https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-cabinets/ -- that space is mostly wasted otherwise and makes for great storage. Fold down workspaces are also handy.

The shed idea is a great one -- I moved my yard stuff out to a shed a few years ago, and it made a big difference in my garage.

The biggest thing is to have a clear plan for what you intend to do in the space. The smaller the area, the more clever you have to be to fit it all in.
Foust is offline   Reply With Quote