Thread: King pin weight
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM   #26
NotyetMHCowner

The good thing about weighing each tire is just as has been stated. If your fridge or something is really heavy for example, that tire may be overloaded even so the axle weight may not be. CAT scales will only show axle weights. Since most manufactures put the least possible capacity tire possible on their rigs, overloaded tires are a real possibility.

My way of thinking is the BARE minimum of truck should be able to handle the GVWR of the trailer, NOT empty weight or "I only load 1000 pounds of stuff". The GVWR only. I would use 25% for pin weight for any extra front loading you might want to do. If your only 20%, then great! You have an extra safe margin. If the trailer is 10k lbs or more, I would up grade the tires. If it came with D then go to E. If it came with E then go to G. I have never understood how someone could spend $30K, $40K, $50K or more and then gripe about $1000 worth of tires to have peace of mind.

My philosophy is the most important things with towing a camper are Tires, Bearings and Brakes. You can get home safely without the AC or fridge working or clogged black tank or broken couch springs.
1998 Coleman Grandview pop-up with slide

Trucks:
2006 Ford F350 CC, SB, DRW, 4x4
1992 Ford F150 SC, SB, 4x4
NotyetMHCowner is offline   Reply With Quote