View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #55
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
*Update: After having all 5 tires replaced last fall, I had two more catastophic blowouts again the same day a couple of weeks ago. This time it did quite a bit of damage to the J-wrap and took out the DARCO in the wheel wells! Of course one on each side and after I had used my spare also had a coach-net call for help from the side of the Interstate! These Carlise Radial Trail HD's are junk!!! (Yes I have been weighed by smart weigh, use a Eez TPMS and do not drive over 65 mph!!). If you have them get rid of them tomorrow before they damage your rig! Discount Tire filed a damage claim on my behalf to Carlise. They also told me they are discontinuing this tire from stock from all the trouble others have had!

I have an appointment this next week at MORrhyde to upgrade to the 8K IS suspension/disc brakes and wheels & tires to the 235 70/ R17.5 G114 H rated and those damn Carlises couldn't get me there without failing and damaging my rig again!!! I am so ready to be over this junk!
I’m not writing this in support of the Carlisle tires. It’s about the situation.

The fitment requirement for RV trailer axles requires the trailer manufacturer to use tires that supports its certified GAWRs. The actual statement in the standard says the trailer manufacturer gets to decide what’s appropriate and then certify that decision on the certification label. Guess who gets to set & certify those axles? You got it, the trailer manufacturer. Guess who’s the only one that can change those GAWRs once they’ve been certified? The vehicle manufacturer or a certified vehicle modifier.

So, in your case, your trailer has 7000# axles. Fitted with ST235/80R16E tires. At the recommended cold inflation pressure they only provide 20# of load capacity reserves per tire for a fully loaded axle. The standard RVIA recommendation is a reserve of 10%, or tires with at least 3872# of load capacity. That’s a ST235/85R16F or ST235/80R16G at full sidewall inflation pressures.

The results of documented studies for trailers like yours have shown that approximately 50% were found to have an axle over loaded or tires on it under inflated. Another study shows that there is a 60% chance that a single tire position is over loaded or under inflated. That is a very damaging condition for tires that are already at, or nearly at, their maximum load capacity when properly inflated. Tires in those conditions degrade rapidly and the condition is invisible until it starts to fail. The first visible sign will be tire growth or bubbles in the sidewall. When they start getting taller they are real close to throwing the tread.

Here is a picture of two like sized and designed tires. The taller one is in full tread separation.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=27625

Recommendations: Compare your OE tire load capacity to the certified GAWR. Normally going up a load range or two will insure a longer life expectancy from the replacements.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote