View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I can't advise on campgrounds in that area because we always stay in a condo in Destin. I will say there are several in the area and I think there are others on the forum that have experience with that. If you get nothing I can dig into it; I think there are some here in our campground about 4 hrs from Destin that go there in their RVs.

Stay away? No way. Especially if you've never been there. The water at Destin is just beautiful. Some things to think about; be sure and check spring break times (I think it's spring break somewhere all of March). Things can get hectic BUT Destin does not cater to the spring break mania like Panama City Beach does/did but it can get a bit rowdy. Pensacola is home to a naval air base and has LOTS of folks there; airmen, families etc.; I think there is even a German contingent of training airmen. Not bad generally; just busy and you need to be aware of it. I would highly recommend you go.

If you come to this area prior to going to Crystal River and have time take hwy. 98 along the coast to get back to I10 - or stay on it and miss the interstate to make the bend heading south. If you are going to Crystal River to see manatees remember that Wakulla Springs, the largest natural spring in the world if I recall, has tons of manatees this time of year. I took little brother there a couple of weeks ago and folks were swimming/playing with them and they were everywhere. It was COLD that day and folks were swimming out there with them....without wet suits; crazy to me. As I stood in a coat with the hood pulled up a lady, with a cast on her leg, explained the water was a constant 72degrees as her husband and 2 children frolicked with the manatees. She seemed sane but to me...... Wakulla Springs is also where Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Tarzan (with Johnny Weissmuller) were filmed....pretty interesting.

Good luck and have a great trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote