Thread: Add an A/C unit
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #3
xrated

I installed a second A/C unit in my Toy Hauler a month or so ago. Mine was pre-wired for a second unit, but in my case, it was in the garage area of the T.H. So, as far as wiring goes, the following wires/cables were there.

1. 120VAC circuit
2. 4 conductor cable for thermostat control
3. 12 Volt DC cable (12 volt pos and 12 volt neg.
4. 2 conductor cable for being able to control the furnace from that A/C unit also

On my installation, I chose to put a wall thermostat on it instead of using the knobs on the overhead Air Distribution Box. The T.H. has very high ceilings and using the knobs would have required a step ladder or stool every time an adjustment was made. The wall thermostat operates like any other thermostat and is obviously at chest height....no ladder or stool needed. The main A/C thermostat in the kitchen/living room is the one that controls both the A/C and the furnace, so no need for the "furnace" wires in the second unit (taped up and tucked away" I bought a Dometic Brisk II 13.5K BTU unit with the control box, thermostat, and A/C unit as a package and it makes a huge difference in the T.H. by having the second unit to help with cooling. I don't have the In Command control on my T.H., but I seriously doubt that even if I did, the second one is basically a stand alone type unit.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote