View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're only interested in "charging batteries" sometimes, usually mid morning and late afternoon, then you really don't need a 3000/3500 watt generator. There are several inverter generators which provide 1600/1700 watts, can be "coupled" if you decide later on that you want more power, are significantly more efficient and less noise. If you look around, shop wisely, you can often find the Champion 2000 watt inverter generator for $397 (that's what I paid for my second unit last Christmas) and they regularly sell for about $429 with free shipping/no sales tax.

That's only about $100 more than you're going to pay for a "construction generator" that operates at "full speed" all the time, is noisy, consumes more gas and is significantly heavier.

If you can't afford the Champion (or a competitive brand) 3100 watt generator, I'd urge you to consider the Champion 2000 watt generator with the thought that next year or later, if you need or want to upgrade, you won't have a "used construction generator" that you can't sell to get your money out of it, but you'd have invested in the "first half" of your "final system". Many of us have Champion 2000 watt (two generator system) and it will power an entire 30 amp trailer without problems. Many others have the Champion 3100 inverter system and are very satisfied with how it powers their A/C and some other equipment. The 2000 watt inverter generator would serve you well to charge batteries, make a pot of coffee, watch some TV in the evening and still be a "good neighbor" in the campground.

I don't know of very many people who use "construction generators" for primary power and are satisfied with the noise output, although they don't have any issues with performance. No doubt, there are some, probably some on this forum, but I wouldn't think they have "happy neighbors" in any campground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote