View Single Post
Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawagoose View Post
Pulle a 33 ft Jayco for years with an 2008 Suburban with trailer tow package, no problems but did upgrade the tires to LT tires, sidewalls are a lot stiffer and reduce sway. Incidentally we had 4 teenagers, used a weight distributing hitch with antisway, don't know if we were overloaded but travelled thousands of miles with the crew, locally we have a good number of 7% grades and the truck went up like a trooper. As long as the TV is in good shape you'll be fine.
I flew with a fighter jock that always showed up hung over, used half his oxygen "recovering" before takeoff. Flew high altitude sorties on full O2 until he ran close to empty, then flew LAVT's (low altitude visual training) tactics back to home field. He never had an accident, managed to "make it happen" on every sortie, even with all the odds stacked against him.

That was aviation "back in the day". We don't encourage the "silk scarf flowing in the wind" type of flying any longer.

I can remember towing our 20' Jayco up the mountain passes in Colorado at 15 MPH in first gear and "coasting down the other side" at 60-80 MPH on snow covered roads. We survived, never had an accident, never had a blowout, even though some spots there was no guardrail and a 1000' drop-off in the middle of a 10 MPH switchback.

That doesn't mean that I'd want to fly with someone like that now and I wouldn't take those same kinds of risks with my family today that I did back before I knew how significant the risks were to my family and to others on the road. Additionally, we seldom saw another vehicle on the road back then, so there were fewer people to run into going down those mountains. Today, it's bumper to bumper traffic most times. More crowded highways mean more potential for others to be "in the way" when I have an emergency and more potential for others to be "overloaded, under towed and getting into trouble that causes them run into me as I try to be safe......

Times have changed, conditions on the roads have changed and much of "what we did in the good old days" is just plain not recommended on today's crowded highway system. There's a lot to be said about the old adage: Better safe than sorry.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote