View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjturnbow View Post
I just purchased a new 2018, 3721RL Fifth Wheel. This is my second Montana fifth wheel. Why do all three slide-out awnings pool water, even in a small rain? I can't get an answer from the factory or my dealer? Thanks!
I have 3 toppers on the Cougar. Two of them are fine, but the third one always ponds at one end. I figured that if I raised the angle of the topper, it would drain without ponding. I locked the spring, removed the entire strip that holds the awning to the trailer shell, and remounted it. It did not solve the problem although the part of the 16' topper that does not pond up drains better.

So I did some hunting online and found several possible fixes. First, you can actually purchase an inflatable pillow that is marketed for this specific purpose. Tuck it up between the roof and the awning and you are all set. How much you inflate it determines how much it raises the low spot.

For the DIY crowd, making up a little support frame out of PVC pipe and fittings is popular. I made one using 1" thin wall (schedule 20) pipe and some matching fittings. It slides in place under the topper and is just tall enough to prevent the awing material from sagging. I did not want to raise it too much as that would just create new ponding in a different spot. I found several different ideas on all this on RV.NET's huge forum. Lots of folks owning many different brands of trailers and awings encounter this issue.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote