View Single Post
Old 09-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #13
MattHelm21

My last RV style Dometic fridge lasted 16 years with only a burner cleaning. It had gotten to the point where the freezer worked perfectly but the fridge wouldn't cool below 40 to 50 degrees. The only other negative was the amount of time to cool down any absorption unit and the cringe every time someone opened the door for longer than I felt was necessary since I know it had to cool the interior back down again.

Now we have the residential fridge and the 1000W inverter. The plusses are its huge, it cools down fast, its huge, it has an icemaker, its huge, and its side by side with bottom freezer. There are many negatives and mostly you will hear about the power consumption. However, I think the biggest may be the fact the manual says my Samsung must not be operated in temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. This might be one of the biggest reasons for all the premature failures we read about. Bouncing down the road could be the other reason.

After one season, it works for my camping needs but I did have to run 50 amp power to the trailer at the house so I could set the AC to run during the day and keep it cool enough inside. I guess I'll update this post in 16 years(less if I have problems like others have).