View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The question you ask has two answers: Yes and No....

Let me explain: There are several different "options" available on the Avalanche that are necessary for the specific vehicle to meet that 8100 pound capability. Not every Avalanche produced has that towing capability.

Secondly, more than just the tow capacity must be considered. You don't mention the number of people who will be passengers in the Avalanche, you don't indicate any added equipment you'd be carrying in the cab or in the bed of the Avalanche. Since it's a bunkhouse model, there is a potential for you to overload the tow vehicle, even with a 3/4 ton truck, depending on what other cargo and passengers you might add to the mix.

Looking objectively, the trailer shipping weight is 3795, payload is 1605 for a GVW of 5400 pounds. Depending on how the trailer is loaded, the tongue weight will be 10-15% of total weight. That means a range of about 540-810 pounds. Then add to that, 100-150 pounds for a hitch and it's easy to see that, depending on the passenger/cargo load, an Avalanche may not be enough vehicle. That is based, not on the trailer, but on the "other stuff" and passenger load.

Weigh EVERYTHING that you'll be putting in the Avalanche, use a suggested 900 pounds as a "best guess" of what the trailer will "bring to the package" in tongue weight, but you must also add what "you will bring to the package" in the form of passengers, generators, firewood, coolers, tool boxes, bicycles, motorbikes, toys, camping equipment, pets, and any other items you might "throw in the back" when you go camping.

I suppose what I'm saying is, "The Avalanche, if properly equipped is a good match for that trailer, but that depends on how many people you carry with you and what other cargo you put in the bed of the truck and the trailer.

Oh, and welcome to the forum !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote