View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
We are in the same boat as Rick. We start our maiden voyage to the NY side of the Thousand islands tomorrow morning. The one thing I need help with is the surge protector. I just want a good one, but not spend a ton of money. We are planning on buying it stateside as our prices in the great white north are crazy. Tips please?
TIA

I agree with Joe. Good and inexpensive usually don't mix. Many use the Progressive units and others use the Surge Guard brand, as do I. They make "surge guard" only units...that is not what you want. You want the more expensive electrical management units that monitor virtually every aspect of your power usage as well as all the faults and shuts the power down to the trailer if there is a failure. I've had an issue or 2 with power surges, but far, far more from no ground, no power on one leg, low power etc. A "surge" protector doesn't do anything for those.

The totes are an excellent idea. Measure your pass thru and get some totes that fit. We carry various ones for fresh water hoses/equip, black water hose/equip, cleaning supplies and misc gear etc. That way you don't have everything just loose and rumbling around.

It was mentioned once I believe but I would have a clear elbow to go on the RV dump connection. We used to never use one but have for some time now. They are invaluable trying to determine what is going on in the tanks. Not necessarily a "can't function" without it, but I sure don't want to go without mine.

You have been told about torque wrenches with sockets for the trailer and truck, tire gauges, leveling blocks, chocks; you will use them every time you set up. I carry a cordless impact wrench as well. Don't use it to torque the nuts but it speeds up the process. I carry a 120v compressor as well as a 12v one.

As you will find, the list is endless. Just make sure that what you get is really needed. I think everything I've read on this list is something that I carry on every trip.....and there's lots I can't think of at the moment

The non slip shelf liner listed earlier is a must IMO. We have it on all of our cabinet shelves.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote