View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 03:15 AM   #19
DucBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
I have a similar 5th wheel about the same weight pulling with my 2500 5.7 hemi. I have air bags but honestly don’t need them. Of course your truck will have no problem pulling it or stopping it but technically you will be over payload. I was over about 600lbs fully loaded last trip with family, dog etc, but well under the combined weight rating and axle ratings. You’ll be fine
Canonman your smart to ask before you upgrade and like was said previously only you can make the decision re safety on weights and ratings. I would strongly recommend getting actual pin wt. for the unit(s) your looking at and take into consideration the location and capacity of holding tank(s) as they commonly are located on underbody near the pin on 5th wheel trlrs. and can add up signifacantly especially if boondocking and unable to empty before traveling, times like this are when airbags or other overload devices on TV are essential for maintaining stock (safe) ride height. Like you I had a 3/4 t diesel 4x4 crew cabed TV which pulled the 35' light wt. (1500#pin12k#gvwr) 5er TH fine with addition of airbags on TV. Then I swapped that 5er for 38' TH with slides which was supposed to have 2200# pin which turned out to actually have a 3k# pin wt. when wet which pushed me out of rawr by and gvrw.The TV pulled the TH up and down a 9 mile 10% grade in Sierras to favorite 8k elevation camp site without issues (thank God for speed brakes and tow haul mode).
Needless to say a new 1t drw diesel double cab TV solved the over weight problem but created a host of others mainly in maneuverability, parking and DW complaining about not needing a new $60k truck (compromises).
Another consideration is to keep your fifth wheel hitch weight to a minimum, I have used a popular 40# 5th to gooseneck hitch which might be a solution for you especially since your cargo weight capacity is low, this solution also saves worn out backs like mine when r&ring hitch. Warning some trlr frame mnfg. warranties might be effected by GN hitch. Good luck with your decision.
Happy camping Canonman.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
400W Solar, 5.5k CO.
DucBill is offline   Reply With Quote