View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #17
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgtow View Post
Hi,
Currently considering trading or selling my Keystone Laredo 240MK trailer for a fifth wheel "upgrade" in order to obtain additional seating space inside. I would like to keep the fifth wheel 30' or shorter.
Will the Cougar half ton 25RES be a good choice for weight?
I have a stock Ram 2500 (2015) Short bed with Diesel Cummins. Pulls the current trailer like a dream. And, likely no problem whatsoever pulling the fifth wheel (towing capacity listed at 17,000+ lbs.) however the Payload available is approx. 2,200 lbs. I do not have the hitch yet nor is the Ram prepped for a fifth wheel hitch.
2018 - 25RES states:
Hitch Weight = 1,610 lbs.
Shipping Weight = 7540
Carry Weight = 2460

Thoughts from those experienced members.... on payload issues?
Also looking at the new Grand Design model 230RL as another alternative, which starts at 1,200 lbs pin weight.

Thanks, Rob
Our set up is very similar to yours. Short answer; yes, you will be close to (maybe slightly over) the max payload with a full load in the 5er. That said I have never noticed any issue pulling, stopping or feeling in any way unsafe with our outfit. Consider an Anderson 5th wheel hitch to save weight. Keep your basement load as light as reasonably possible and the load in the truck to a minimum. Go to the scales and get your weights so you know the real numbers.
You are asking for real world answers from folks pulling a mid-size 5th wheel with a Ram 2500 and 6.7 Cummins diesel.
IMHO and 20k miles experience I'd say you'd be just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4128.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	15066  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote