View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Butchy

Dometic Air Conditioner Issue

Folks,
Here is a copy of an email I sent to Dometic about a problem with my rear AC unit. They have been VERY responsive but I do not think their solution of having the cover replaced (under warranty) will solve the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with a "Blizzard NXT" AC? I see that they have recently replaced the cover style so that water cannot leak as I describe below.

To Dometic:
I recently purchased a Montana 3160RL 5th wheel with two Dometic AC units. I have only been on two trips but on both The rear unit leaks water into the RV through the return ducts only after a rain storm. The dealer worked on it and said they tightened the mounting bolts but it still leaks. I hate to say this but I believe there is a design flaw with the cover of this model and inside housing. The clam shell cover is designed so that the top section fits inside the bottom section allowing rain to enter in the front of the unit. This water puddles up and seeps or is pulled under the inside foam housing. After performing a test with a garden hose I believe the vacuum created by the operation of the fan housing is sucking the water into the return chamber housing. Once inside the housing it has several paths to leak into the return duct.

Tests I have performed include spraying water around the front cover of the unit with the unit operating. Inside the RV you can hear water “gurgling” until you turn the unit off then a flood comes through the return ducts. Also in Florida today, and several times since I owned the RV, we had a heavy rain WITHOUT the unit running, no water inside…