View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee365 View Post
It's all good. I work in a profession that operates souely 'by the numbers.' It certainly bothers me somewhat that I'm over GVWR. But, I know that practically it's nOt as big of a deal as it seems. The RAWR and tire ratings are another story. Those are hard numbers to me. Even though the F-350 has a 7000# RAWR with the same frame, axle housing, and springs. But I digress. I can get the stock suspension components of free out of the scrap pile from a 4x4 shop and my labor is free so removing the lift is probably more likely to happen than not. It will also make it easier for the wife to drive and get the boy in and out of the car seat. My truck when empty sits a touch high in the front. With the 5er is obviously more noticeable. This will make my headlights shine a bit high which will annoy other drivers. The rear end with the 5er in the bed actually looks rather normal. But, the front has a large amount of wheel well around what looks to be a little tire. This is the main reason I will probably remove the lift. I could stand to drop the nose of the 5er another inch to perfectly level it but the axle loading are very similar. The automatic leveling system says the unit is sitting 0.7 degrees nose high.

I think he ideal setup for this truck is to remove the lift and add air bags. I have a few projects in line first but will probably source the parts first so I have them on hand.

I agree on your assessment of the solution (lift removal/bags). Once done, can you not adjust your headlights down to find a workable compromise between the loaded/unloaded positions?

I also understand about the tire/wheel well thing. A lifted vehicle just looks strange with a little tire in there. My grandson had wheeled with me for quite some time. He found a K5 Blazer for sale and bought it (this was several years ago). When he got it he called me for advice (I drove to Dallas to see). The previous owner had removed the 37s that were on it and put the stock wheels and tires on it. It looked ridiculous (to me). I observed then that he had the kid of lift I talked about in the previous post (blocks). He loved the looks of the lift so my first order of business was removing the blocks (I explained my thoughts on them to him) and put in a full Skyjacker 6" lift - new springs, no blocks. Compromised and I put on a set of 35" Pro Comps for him. Looked good and looked like he could get 37s in there if he wanted to later - I could see no reason he needed that large of a tire at 19 - and it saved me a few bucks
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote