View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 10:19 PM   #19
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
It's possible. Our trailer is currently in storage so I don't have access to my certification label. My guess is that it's the same 4000# axle but since it was built/sold before the fall of 2017, it didn't follow the (yet to be established) 10% reserve. The 2040# tires they fitted at the time would have been a 2% reserve and a poster child for why the RVIA took action. The link to the 2017 1750RD that you provided may have been built later in 2017 or retrofitted to the 2200# tires by the dealer to meet the 10% reserve. Hard to tell.

As I said earlier, I have absolutely no intention of overloading the 4000# axle. I just need some margin other than what the factory fitted 2040# tires provided when they were stamped, probably some time in 2016. If I understand correctly, even if I had switched to RVIA recommended 2200# tires a year ago, and given up to 10% degradation per year, they would have been back down to a marginal 2000# capacity already this spring.

That was kind of why I was looking at 2800# tires in the first place, so I can get about four seasons out of them before they degrade into 2000# tires. That, and multiple recommendations elsewhere to go from a D to an E load range. My main question was related to rim selection and the implications of going from a 14" to a 15" rim while retaining the original five-hole pattern.

Well, you're right about getting more load capacity with your replacements. Probably the only way to do it properly is go to the 15" wheels. Looking at your pictures there seems to be ample room for the 15" upgrade.

It's a shame on the RV trailer industry for not providing replacement options for RV trailer tiers/wheels. Everything would be so much easier with an options list to go by.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote