View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
ajk170

DIY French Door hack for 316RL

Hi everyone- I’ve been thinking about changing my bedroom door on my 2015 316RL and replacing it with a “French Door” modification from a bifold French door. I realize OEM RV doors tend to be a lot shorter than residential style doors due to the venting principal that they use, but the widths tend to be the same and I would have to cut down the bottom and top of the bi-fold door IOT make it fit the OEM height (~74-75"s) so a solid core bi-fod door will be necessary. Since I’m on the road for work and not near my coach, I cannot verify the measurements- but I think either a 24x80 or 30x80 bi-fold door will work if I take off the center hinges and use the non-mortise hinges on the opposite door jam. I could even order a new jam from trekwood to replace the current one that’s been cut for the current door latch. I figure I can use some sort of cabinet style latch at the top of the doors, even if I have to cut a both in the top jam to set the hardware flush with the jam.

What I’m trying to eliminate is the door problems that the 316RL has with the bathroom doors. The main bedroom door can get blocked if the main bathroom door is open and you try to exit the bedroom via the main bedroom door. The bedroom pass-though door can get damaged or damage the bedroom slide if you're not careful when bringing in the bedroom slide. I would do this modification to both bedroom doors with a Glass french bi-folding door and then maybe a regular bi-folding door (non glass) for the pass-though from the bathroom to the bedroom. Effectively installing two "French style doors" that lead into the bedroom.

I think using these bi-fold doors and taking them apart would shorten the length the doors would open and elevate these problems with the door blockage and bedroom slide. I would stain the doors to match the cherry color and put a film over the glass in the main bedroom doors to make it frosted/translucent for privacy. Or maybe take the opportunity to paint the doors white and change the whole bedroom trim/cabinet colors to a washed white look to really brighten the bedroom since the 316RL can be pretty dark due to the small window, second A/C and cherry finish.

Any thought on where the problems might be that I’m not seeing? Thanks!
-Andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote