Thread: wood chips
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

In Northern Michigan, wood chips are a seasonal item. In other words, plan to replace them next year. So at $10 a yard, spread 2" thick, they'll cost you $30 in 3 years. Rock, pretty much a permanent commodity, at $30 a yard would last indefinately. You may have to rake it back to the surface every couple of years, but pretty much, once you buy it, you're done.

If you can afford it, I'd go with rock. If you can't quite manage, get enough to do under the table and in front of the door, then next year, do a little more.

My experience with crushed limestone is that it sets up like concrete. We bought last year for $14 a yard, this year it's $19 I have no doubt next year will be even higher.

I would get a couple more quotes on rock, $30 a yard sound pretty expensive unless they are doing the spreading and delivery distance is quite far. As an example. Crushed limestone, about 3/4 inch size, delivered from the quarry which is about 25 miles away is $19. Buy more than 40 yards and it's $16.75. That does not include any spreading or leveling, just delivered and tailgate spread from the dump truck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote