View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Very sad! We were planning a trip to Branson and DW researched this particular event thinking we will do it. Prayers are with them.

Joe, my thought would be to just make your plans. The Ducks have been running for a long time and they are safe. This event was due to a crazy anomaly in the weather. Zillions of folks have taken them without incident, as we have. Plus, Branson is just fun to us with lots of other things to do (forget the "shows").

I was in a squall just like the one encountered; just bought new (used) Glastron w/115 Merc. On Brantley lake in NM. As we tested the boat found that the motor would not run reliably unless DW got at the back and squeezed the bulb to keep the motor running. Headed back to the dock. At the far end of the lake there was a cloud...to me nothing menacing. As we got closer to the dock a wall of wind 60-70 mph hit us. The dock was right there and 2 boats were trying to tie up while we sat, DW squeezing the bulb to keep the engine running, fighting the 3-4' swells. The last guy and his buddy took their 14'? POS boat and tied it up LENGTHWISE on the downwind side of the dock....nothing left. I worked our boat to the upwind side of the dock hoping to get up and let one end of the dipsticks boat loose. The wind was too strong; we could only sit in the bow trying to keep the boat from disintegrating by bouncing 2-5' vertically under the dock. We kept trying to pull the boat around the end of the dock, against 60mph winds and big waves while we took on water. We were stuck. The boat was taking on water, DW and I were doing our best trying to get us to the lee side without breaking arms, hands etc. A lost cause.

As we determined we were at the point of abandoning and trying to reach shore...about 20', a NM game warden came out of nowhere; blinding rain, 4' waves beating us against the dock.....the wind was intense; he yelled for our bow line and I threw it to him. He took that line, telling us to be careful because the wind/waves were pushing us directly under the dock and we were using our hands/arms, as the bow went up and down 3-4', to keep us off the dock. That great guy, drowned in the wind and rain, took that line and pulled us around the end while we kept the boat out from under the dock, untied the rear of the dipsticks boat to free up dock space on the lee side and tied us off. The wind was so loud/strong we couldn't really communicate. He got us tied off and walked off completely drenched in 60 mph winds; I yelled "You need to shoot those SOBs or put them in jail...they tried to kill us!"

Anyway, those crazy storms happen and I happened to be in one so I know they do, and the absolutely helpless feeling you have when things go south...or some dipstick decides to try to leave you to the wolves. Don't know if he shot them or not.....but hoping A long story, again, inspired these events....and the fact that it is still 102" at this hour and I'm not getting a lot accomplished in these 103-106 degree days.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote