View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
geo

JRTJH -

I remember asking Richard why the Festus2 handle. Evidently, in the early days of this Forum, there was an early user using Festus. That is why he was "Festus2". OK, but how did someone from BC settle on Festus or even Festus2? The story goes back to a faculty skit at his school. The skit was an adaptation of "Gunsmoke" (for you young ones, that was a very popular TV show back in the 1950s-60s). No, the principal didn't get to play Marshall Dillon, he got to play Festus. For some reason, this skit came to Richard's mind when he joined the Keystone Forum, but because of an earlier user, he became "Festus2". I will also note that Richard did not like his name used on the Forum and insisted on being addressed as "Festus2". However, I think he would approve now.

Another story, as the moderators probably know, Richard loved curling. He played in the senior leagues including this past winter. However, in these past two seasons (one winter), Richard was forced to use the stick to deliver the stone. He still played the skip position but could not do the usual yelling at the sweepers and the stone.

As some of the older members know, my background is in geology and geophysics. I remember having a weeklong email discussion with Richard on the subject of curling stones and how the cooling of the magma and formation of the mineral crystal could in fact affect the reaction of the stone to dimples on the ice. It was a great discussion that we both enjoyed. During one of our visits, he actually borrowed a stone from the curling rink and we turned it over in the dining room and looked at it with a rock loupe! Hmm, maybe TMI?

Oh, and JRTJH, Richard remembered our "gray poopon" series of posts! He would always chuckle and shake his head at adding olive oil to the black tank. BTW, even with our new fiver, I still add Wash Soda (sodium carbonate) or Olive Oil to the black tank regularly.

Hankaye - Thank you. It is great to hear from you!

Chuckster57 - I remember when Richard recruited you as a moderator. From your early posts, I agreed with him that you would be a fine moderator.

Safe travels to all,
Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote