View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #7
jsmith948

Just an added thought...we had a 2012 Cougar half-ton 282 RESWE. From the day we brought it home, I thought that the rear of the trailer looked too low and there didn't seem to be enough tire clearance - especially at the left rear wheel. After traveling some unusually rough roads, I noticed that the left rear tire had come in contact with the Darco in the wheel well. Taped up the damage and decided to "keep an eye on it".
Well, on our way to the balloon festival, the left rear spring broke. Turns out that, judging by the rust marks, the major leaf of that spring had been cracked for some time. I regularly inspected the springs and never saw the crack.
The Cougar had 4400 lb axles. The mobile repair guy said he thought the springs were too light for the trailer. BTW, the spring broke after something over 20,000 miles.
I guess my point is to be sure and check the integrity of your springs. If I had it to do again, I would go to a welding supply and buy some dye penetrant or have a spring shop look at it.
If you look on the spring, you will find a tag with the part number. Check to make sure the springs are rated high enough for your trailer's weight.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote