Thread: Electric Trucks
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
Canonman

IMHO the pure electric car/truck right now, is a city commuting grocery getter at best. We, of any practically educated group, know a few things about batteries. The big issue is the charge time needed to to bring the batteries back from a depleted state. (No, Danny, I'm not talking about California
Any thought about just pulling up to a charge station and refilling the battery is beyond the "current" reality. It takes hours, not minutes to recharge an electric car. Certainly not practical for our needs.
Locally, our University, tried electric busses that received an inductive charge at multiple stops along the route. Way too much money required for the charging station infrastructure to make it practical. Plus, they'd have to buy all new busses and the route wouldn't cover 10% of the service area.
I'm visualizing a completely different solution. Anyone remember the old bumper cars at the carnival?? It'd take a lot of chicken wire, but I'd bet we could cover all the major interstates by the year 2050
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5916 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	24498  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote