View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #21
Dan Lockwood

I know that I'm a very newbie here, but in my '12 RAM 3500 8' box I installed the B&W Gooseneck Turnover Ball hitch. It's rated for whatever the truck is good for, they don't really put a limit on the hitch.

I put it in alone and it took some trips from the creeper to the bed, many trips that is... I used my cherry picker to raise in the main under bed center section. A hoist and two guys would not have been an issue, but 85# overhead off a creeper and trying to add bolts is NOT something I recommend doing alone.

I then got their Companion 20k# hitch. My 5er grosses out at around 18K# so I didn't want to go with just an 18k hitch.

I'm going to be removing it next weekend and I'm not looking forward to doing that alone, but I've lifted heavier I guess. Yes the top part comes off with just a couple levers and then loosed the draw pin torque bolt and pull the pin and your good to lift. Put the ball back in upside down and the floor is smooth with the exception of the two spring loaded safety chain u-bolts.

My used truck has been well used and the box shows its work history.

Here's the gooseneck installed.

Here's the hitch complete with the Companion 18k.

This shows what all goes in the truck and bed. The Companion has plastic rails that are adjusted to fit into the bed grooves for stability etc. When the hitch torque bolt is torqued down to 60ft/#, the Companion is VERY tight to the floor and no rattles at all.

Other than the possible weight issue for some people, I would recommend the B&W setup. I don't really know where it fits in the price with other alternatives out there, but I believe I'm around $1600 for both, maybe a bit less, can't remember as I've slept since I bought it...
'09 Harley CVO Road Glide
'76 Harley FLH Shovelhead
Dan Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote