Thread: Towing capacity
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikespeakviewer View Post
Thanks everyone.

My dealership was able to provide me with my window sticker. We have max tow package, 3.5L ecoboost engine.

The truck door sticker shows me that we have L6 axle which is 3.73 axle ratio.

I believe we have 11,200lbs towing capacity, based on the attached chart.

I believe our payload is 1716#.

No, I have not weighed the truck with or without the trailer. Can we just pull into the the weigh stations and use the scales?

Our trailer is 7690lbs GVWR.
In reality you need to throw the "towing capacity" out of your mind and concentrate on the other, more important numbers.

Think of it this way; 1716 payload - 1000 lbs. tongue, -100/125 hitch, -350 for 2 people (more if kids), -40 for doggie, -150 for gear in the bed, etc. etc. You get the drift. With above scenario you are at 1665 and I am positive that is too conservative. Now, your rear axle GAWR is 4050. Lets say your truck weighs 5400 (should be close) and the distribution is 2900 front and 2500 back. 2500 on the rear axle from the truck, + 1665 from the additional load you have placed on it = 4165; you have now exceeded you rear gawr as well as being right at, if not over, your payload. Remember, you optimally want a minimum of 10 - 15% margin under your max numbers.

The above just starts into the numbers. A true weight from a scale (truck and trailer FULLY loaded for camping) will tell you where you are. I doubt it will be pretty.

You haven't stated the make/model/year of the trailer. That would help although the gvwr is good to know. Also, are you taking kids? That entails toys, bikes etc. = more weight.

A 1/2 ton unfortunately is just not cut out to carry a very big trailer. When you try to max it out and push the limits they become just as dangerous as trying to pull a 7000 lb. trailer with a mid size SUV. Safety should be the #1 thing in mind; if you have kids, even more so.

You might find this link helpful:

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote