View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #32
CWSWine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
I am in the same situation. What I was told in many forums is the Payload is a conservative number based on assumed values and are not held to by MV Laws. The Truck’s GVWR and GAWR numbers are the ones NOT to exceed. That being said I was told to load the Truck with the people and Cargo expected to be in it when towing, and a Full Tank of Gas. Then go to a Scale (Such as a CAT scale used by semis) which should tell you the actual weights Front and Back Axle. As a 5er will rest almost entirely on the Rear Axle look at the Rear GAWR Rating minus the one you got at the scale for the Rear, that will leave you your true remaining Allowable Pin Weight for the 5er. Of course when looking at the 5er use 20% of its GVW (Fully Loaded Weight). I have found that even my 3/4 Tom Ram is barely enough for a 5er (never thought I’d say it but, Damm Cummins! Apparently it weighs close to 600# more than a hemi. It can Pull a mountain but not carry one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
Don't think anyone is determining payload based on axle ratings, but using axle ratings is better than using a marketing tool rating used by some, IMO. Until someone proves me wrong, again my Ram 2500 with a 5.7L has 1,000lbs less payload than a Ram 2500 6.4L despite only a 50ish lb different in engine. Magically the truck advertised as a more heavy duty truck(6.4L), gets the GVWR of 10,000lbs vs 9,000lbs for the 5.7L. I realize that 6.4L is stronger and can technically "pull" more, but we are talking strictly payload here.
The first quote is using axle ratings and ignoring payload. He weighing the truck and subtracting the axle scale weight from the Manufacture Axle Rating to determine the heaviest pin weight his truck can handle. Like it says in the Ford manual/towing guides and I quote "must not cause vehicle weights to exceed the rear GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) or GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). These ratings can be found on the vehicle’s Safety Compliance Certification LabeL”

Those high towing capacity that the dealers throw around to convince people to buy trucks. Here is the rest of the story.
SAE J2807 States that exceeding the GVWR/GAWR is a reason to fail the towing test at that weight. So GVWR/GAWR are still the deciding factor.

"5.4 GVWR/Rear GAWR and Tongue Weight/Kingpin Weight Considerations
The tow vehicle shall be able to accommodate appropriate trailer tongue and/or kingpin weight to attain a particular TWR
without exceeding Rear GAWR and/or GVWR. Required minimum conventional trailer tongue weight shall be 10% of TWR and required minimum fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be 15% of TWR."

TWR = Trailer Weight Rating

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/to...ds-2016-02.pdf
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote