Thread: Smart tires ???
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
KimNTerry

I don't see a tire manufacturer (or any manufacturer really) calling Law Enforcement. The auto manufacturers could have been doing this for years. Instead they politely ask for a warrant when law enforcement wants data.

More likely the owners of the data will use the data for a variety of purposes in the quality, engineering, legal and marketing departments.

Quality and engineering presumably to make a better tire cheaper and faster. "Better, faster, cheaper" is the mantra in manufacturing.

Legal department so when they are sued for making an inferior product, they can (and will) defend themselves with hard data collected not just from thousands of tires on the road and in use, but the actual set of tires or individual tire that failed. (Your honor we would like to introduce exhibit A. These specific tires were in fact overloaded and under-inflated against the instructions provided in our manual. and Exhibit B the records for thousands of the same tire model and hundreds from the same lot operating safely and properly on the highway right now.)

Marketing so they can aggregate data about their consumers and better understand the market. This is the department that scares the most. They want everything, where you've been, what roads, how many passengers in the car, how long on the road, which gas stations and restaurants are stopped at, you name, the data appetite of the marketing department is NOT to be underestimated.

My main issue with the "Internet of Things" (IOT) /"Smart" products though is the security models used (or has been proven not used at all). Some "smart" products are actually vectors and open doors for less than respectable people with too much time on their hands. Poor security implementation in your "smart" tire leads to intrusion into your car's systems, your phone, your home wifi, you name it.

I try NOT to purchase "Smart" products. What I do with a product and how I use it is no one's business but my own.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote