View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

I agree that verification would be nice on the exact depth of the gap. Fenders come in all shapes, sizes and designs. When looking at the pic I didn't think of 3-4", I saw what I was looking at and it looks much like mine. I went outside to measure but "alas", I forgot my slides are deployed and I'm not bringing them in to do this.

However, looking closer at mine it's like this; the "scoop" on the slide sits 1 1/2" out from the wall of the slide. Oddly, the same measurement on the wall of the trailer where it was cut is 1 1/8" which indicates that the fender sits a little differently on the slide vs the wall of the trailer. More importantly, the rubber seal for the slide is the same height as the raised portion of the fender on the trailer wall, 1 1/8", completely filling the void of that hole in that portion of the fender. Compressing the slide seal shows that it will not compress any closer to the wall than a minimum of maybe 3/4". When the slide comes in it will be set out by that amount PLUS the 1 1/2" scoop for a total offset of 2 1/4" plus the width of the slide exterior wall (5/16") equaling 2 9/16" approx. These measurements would indicate that my "scoop" sits about 1 7/16" above the inner scoop. Personally I think these observations are a little askew. I've worked on those scoops with the slides in and I'm pretty sure they will be 2" or possibly more. I'll check when I bring them in. Certainly not 3-4" but with the endless variations in fender styles I would not be at all surprised if they were; I've seen what appeared to pretty deep ones, but it's hard to throw a tape on them driving at 65mph.

Hopefully the OP can make some accurate measurements, compare both sides (if they have slides) and possibly observe other like units to see if what he has is normal.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote