View Single Post
Old 10-14-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
I am amazed that some folks change trucks as often as babies diapers. I have had two Ram/Cummins 2500s since '94. My '94 was my favorite truck of all I have owned but for long trips the standard cab was not enough room and the completely mechanical 160 hp was not going to cut it as trailers got heavier. Sold it to a local landscaper who is still using it. My '04.5 is a quadcab (more room) and HO common rail electronic 325 hp 600 ftlb ( enough power for me) looks like it may outlive me.
Both trucks needed front end work at about 90k but aftermarket greaseable parts solved that and the '94 needed a beefed up torque converter at 110k.

Looking at the prices on new trucks and the experience I have had with mine I would go with Ram/Cummins again if I had to. JM2¢, Hank

All heavy diesel engines cause front ends to give up the ghost at about 90K miles. Ford, Chevy, Ram, makes no difference unless the truck is driven on glassy smooth roads. I just changed out the entire front end at 140K miles on my Ford clunker and it probably should have been done quite awhile earlier. Front ends, EGR issues and DEF issues on the newer diesel beasts are all just part of the joy of ownership. The chug of the international diesel overcame my common sense! ARGH
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote