View Single Post
Old 09-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #53
Pete54401

The "invisible camera" (trailer cam) is a great idea but as noted above, can't use with a 5th wheel. Ford has also had a trailer cam but their system doesn't make the trailer disappear. The problem with all these camera options these days is two-fold. First of all, in themselves they are distracting as you switch to the many views, which leads to the second issue and that is that all this new safety related technology is making many drivers lazy and less diligent as they rely more on the technology and less on common sense and "head swiveling". Having used the Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist I find it to be easy to use and it just plain works but again, some limitations (no 5th wheel).

Regarding tailgate steps. Ford's is pretty much proven and now in a second generation design as the first generation did need some tweaking. One of the best features of Ford's design is it simplicity AND it's handle. The GM gate does have more functions but look where the assist handle is located, not in a location where it does much to assist you. Regarding durability, dirt, grit, snow, rust will all impact long term performance not to mention the cost to replace if damaged in an accident. I have not checked on the cost to replace but my guess is it would have to be north of $4,000.
Pete54401 is offline   Reply With Quote