View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #27
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
... But I think I would be white knuckled if I was towing a 30' trailer for the first time also.
That is a very good point and raises another point.
If you haven't towed something like a TT before, you might have a tendency to over control the rig, particularly when being passed by semi-trailers out on in the interstate where you'll be going at a reasonable clip yourself.
When the truck passing you comes up from behind, you'll feel his bow wake push you to the side. a slow steady resistance to that is all you need. Your rig should move as a unit if your TV is evenly matched to the TT and you have a good anti-sway hitch set up. There should be very little wagging back and forth of the trailer. If you do get that kind of wagging, you need to address that pronto! If you make rapid corrections against it, you will just make matters worse.
When I'm towing, I can feel the semi passing me before I'm aware that it is approaching (I'm usually focussed out the front more than the mirrors). I feel the rig push to the side of the road and I start a gentle pressure to keep it from going too far, but I let it move a little. When the semi passes, the suction from behind, pulls me back into the center of my lane where I want to be and all is usually well.
Just as an aside, I find that the wake from most semis is pretty even and predictable. However, the car carriers seem to generate a lot of turbulence in their wake. When one of those pulls back into the lane in front of me (and they always see to pull back in very closely) we get tossed around a fair bit until he's a couple hundred yards in front of me.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote